Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Personal Cost of Worship

The personal cost of worship is bowing before Him in order that we might KNOW Him. We are commanded to take up our cross daily. When you take up your cross daily all of the other stuff starts to fall in place and make sense. We are commanded to "by the mercies of God that we present our bodies as a living sacrifice to God"--which is our reasonable service. Romans 12:1

David, called "a man after God's own heart," was not perfect and sinned by numbering the men who were capable of fighting so that the Israelites would have a sense of security in life and know what battles they could fight and win. See 1 Chron. 21. This angered God because He is "their protection" and "their strength." Had He not always provided for them? "God smote Israel" (v. 7). David repented and said to God, "I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing: but now I beseech You, do away with the iniquity of Your servant for I have done very foolishly" (v. 8). So God offered 3 choices--1. 3 years of famine. 2. flee from your enemies for 3 months or 3. 3 days of the sword and pestilence with the angel of the Lord destroying throughout Israel. So David chose for the 3 days of pestilence and said, "I am in great trouble. Let me fall now into the hand of the Lord; for very great are His mercies; but let me not fall into the hand of man" (v. 13).

God is not above disciplining His children because He loves us. He will discipline you because he loves you and wants you to KNOW Him in a personal way.

1. Personal Cost of Confession
We don't like to admit when we're guilty--but we can't fool God. If you want a relationship with God/to KNOW Him, confession is the entry way. You must be willing to accept the consequences. "Whatever it takes for me to be right with You again, I'm willing to do it/let it happen."
David admitted his guilt and said, "Is it not I that commanded the people to be numbered? even I it is that have sinned and done evil indeed; but as for these sheep, what have they done? let Your hand, I pray You, O Lord, my God, be on me, and on my father's house; but not on Your people, that they should be plagued" (V. 17). David confessed and accepted personal responsibility for his behavior and the consequences.

2. Cost of Selflessness
To worship God, you must realize "it's not about me."
To KNOW God, you must let go of yourself first--it's the cost of KNOWING Him.
"Bring a gift in proportion to the way I have blessed you."-God. You can't worship God for free--there is a cost. God commanded David to offer Him a sacrifice at the threshingfloor of Ornan. When David arrived, Ornan offered to give him the threshingfloor and all that was necessary for the sacrifice because he was scared to death of the angel of the Lord that was above Jerusalem. But David refused to sacrifice a burnt offering the Lord that cost him nothing. It wouldn't have been a sacrifice at all then.

3. Personal Cost of Surrender
You are not supposed to be Atlas--the one who strains every muscle trying to carry around the weight of the world. Jesus has the world in His hands. You must let Him have your world. He will take your burdens and troubles and give you peace in exchange. He wants it for you more than you want it for yourself.

This is from today's sermon. It really spoke to me regarding where I am in life right now--I keep trying to be Atlas and it is weighing me down. It burdens me and decreases my peace and joy while also destroying my real productivity. Thankfully, Jesus says for us "to come unto Him all who labor and are heavy laden, and He will give us rest unto our souls for His burden is light and His yoke is easy" (Matt. 11:28-30 paraphrased).

No comments:

Post a Comment